Sunday 26 August 2012

The Changeling

Last week, I spent an evening watching a play mounted by the amateur theatre company I have just joined. I enjoyed the production very much, but the nicest thing of all was the reception I received from some of the other members.

I have only appeared in one play so far, but as a result of this experience, and coming along to see as many of the subsequent productions as possible, I already know several of the "regulars" (people who seem to spend their entire lives directing/acting/doing front of house/working behind the bar).

They are an amiable, talented and friendly crowd; and having spent the past two years being progressively ostracised by a group of bullies within my department at work, it feels quite strange to walk into a building and experience people being so nice to me.

I bump into one of the boys from the previous show - we have both been cast in a play which starts rehearsing in 3 weeks time. He tells me that the girl standing by the bar has also been cast (he knows her from his university days). I go up and introduce myself and we stand chatting for ten minutes. She is petite and pretty, and with a delightful quirky humour. She seems absolutely lovely - just like the other actors I have met so far. I can't wait for us all to start working together.

Another member tells me that next year's productions have been announced, and tells me all the ones he can remember. It's a diverse, interesting selection, and with a little jolt of excitement I note that some of them even offer challenging parts in my age range.

Two hours later, Husband meets me off the train. As we walk home, I chatter away excitedly about my evening, and the plays I am already planning to audition for....

Oooh!! Roll on 2013.
My working environment might never change - but I am changing.
And that's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment