Friday 10 August 2012

QED

I have a day off today.

A whole day of freedom away from the workplace !
O joy, O rapture.

Gone are the days when I was unable to stop working, and would continue to respond to emails even while out with my family or friends (more fool me).

Today I don't even take my Blackberry with me, but leave it safely stashed at home.
I have even set up an out-of-office message.

Husband is also off work, so we go and find somewhere offering a good rate on the euro and change some money in readiness for our imminent holiday. Then he indulges me by supporting me in my hunt for a laundry basket and a tablecloth. Such attention to domestic detail is not something he is used to me demonstrating, but the new carpet and a better work/life balance seem to have stimulated my hitherto under-exercised housewifery muscles.

He is extremely supportive, even when I brandish a laundry basket of eye-watering pinkness and insist upon purchasing it forthwith.

In return I buy him lunch at a nice French bistro.

It is a searingly hot day, and by mid-afternoon I start to wilt and whinge so we jump on a bus heading homewards. Around 6pm I meet up with a sponsee and we sit and drink tea on the common in the warm evening sunshine, before walking to a Support Group meeting where we listen to a great speaker. As I wave goodbye to everyone, I detour to my favourite Pakistani takeaway for chicken tikka...

I haven't thought about work all day.
I haven't felt anxious all day.

QED.

No comments:

Post a Comment