Thursday 2 August 2012

Making Progress

A key outcome from my mediation session with Line Manager is that I have agreed to have meetings with him on a one to one basis. We have not done this for a whole year because ever since he shouted at me in front of other colleagues, I have refused to sit in a room with him.

At the end of the mediation, Line Manager asked me to email him to set up the one to one meeting, whereupon I said "actually I think you should be initiating these meetings if you don't mind...?" Line Manager, reminded of his basic managerial responsibilities, did eventually come up trumps and a week ago we agreed the date and venue.

So when I encounter Line Manager at the door of the department an hour before our meeting is due to start, and he says to me "oh, um, the meeting room doesn't seem to be available", I am called upon to demonstrate my usual exemplary restraint. And tempting though it is to say "well, did you bother to book it last week when we made this arrangement???" I resist.

Line Manager is looking at me for a solution. But I have a lunch date, and have no intention of being late for it. "Well, please let me know what the alternative will be" I say as I disappear through the door and head hungrily in the direction of my panini.

The meeting starts 15 minutes late, after Line Manager has negotiated use of New Boss's office. As we enter it, he closes the door. This is directly contrary to the ground rules we agreed at the end of mediation so I open it again without comment.

Line Manager asks how I am. This is the kind of interaction which makes me instantly feel tense. Line Manager didn't give two hoots how I was feeling when he postponed the grievance hearing because it would spoil his Christmas lunch arrangements. He didn't give a flying fig for my emotional well being when he invited Remora to be a "witness" to an incident she did not see. He didn't give a monkey's for my mental health when he repeatedly lied to the Director about me.

"Fine, thank you" I say, and look at the papers on my lap.

Line Manager seems at a loss. I suggest he runs through my targets and I will report on progress. I do this as efficiently and factually as possible.

Thirty minutes pass without undue incident.

"Thank you," I say as I come to the end of my reporting and rise from my seat readying myself for escape.
"Thank you" replies Line Manager.

I think that in terms of our relationship, this interaction can be considered significant progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment