Monday 6 August 2012

Slacking off

I need to read a book.
I haven't read a book for ages - not since poor Kindle died a death.
(And dammit, I had just downloaded "Jane Eyre").

I need to buy an iPhone - or take one out on contract.
Because now that I have learned about social networking, I'd like to be able to check out Twitter and Facebook on a regular basis. Not have to wait until I get home.

I'd like a bike.
Suddenly all the ladies I know are buying bikes! Ones with nice baskets on the front of them.
I'd like to be able to cycle to choir practice and my Sunday night Support Group meeting.

And it would be nice to have a netbook.

All these things require money.
Which in my case means a regular salary....

If I felt that I had to stay in my job until retirement, I could get very depressed.
But if I persuade myself that I am choosing to stay in it so that I can afford to live the way I want to, then that is another matter.

After years of over-work and dedicated service to the organisation, new phrases are now dominating my thinking. Phrases like "take the money and run" and "clock watcher" and "what the eye don't see..." Because every iota of loyalty and respect I once felt for my employer has been driven out of me.

Over the last two years several of my colleagues have been made redundant, and I realise that one day I too may be among their number. But I reckon I can hang on for a few more years, working at only 50% of my capacity.

My employers don't sack people for being bullies.
They don't fire people for being appalling managers.
They don't hand people their cards for driving their staff to suicidal despair.

It will be interesting to see if they have the front to fire me for "slacking" .

No comments:

Post a Comment