Wednesday 11 July 2012

Typecasting...

Some years ago (ok, ok, some decades ago) I went along to callbacks for a university production of "The Wizard of Oz". I really really wanted to get the part of The Scarecrow!

Upon arrival I did the usual - looked around to see if anyone else I knew was there, filled in the requisite form, went outside for a fag - then sat twiddling my thumbs for some minutes before it dawned on me that about ten of us had been called to the 5pm callback slot, and that furthermore we were all approximately five feet tall.

I cleared my throat before uttering one word to the assembled company:

"Munchkins".....

On that occasion, being a bit of a disappointed diva, I left.
But tonight, when a similar scenario arises at my second amateur drama audition, I stay.
Because things are different now.

The play is a Shakespearean comedy of which I am very fond - in fact I played the lead role at university. I am too old for that part now, but I fancy doubling a couple of the other character roles.

The director, however, seems to have other ideas. At first I think he has asked me to read for the faithful old retainer as a joke. Faithful Old Retainer being a Man. However, it eventually dawns on me that he is Not Kidding !!!

But there is no stomping out. No huffing and puffing. No diva dramas. Because - thank God! - I have changed. I sit patiently and watch all the other auditionees and though I inwardly wince at one or two of the performances, I really enjoy watching the majority. And as I sit there, I think "well, Faithful Old Retainer might be interesting". And "it might be a challenge". And "well, I'd just quite like to do another play around November time, and it doesn't really matter what it is".

During the run of the last play, people were kind enough to say some nice things about my performance. But the best compliments of all came from the Assistant Stage Manager and Assistant Director. They both thanked me for all the extra help I had given the production as a whole - "above and beyond the call of duty" said one.

That night I went home feeling very happy.
Because I felt I had been useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment