Saturday 14 July 2012

Facebook Generation

I've held out for about 3 years, but now I have finally cracked!

I am activating my defunct and useless Facebook account, which has remained untouched since I registered it. Mainly because people who were in the play have nudged me into doing so....

It's hard to understand why I have been so resistant, but it's mainly because I haven't had the first clue how to adjust the privacy settings. But I think I have now managed to work them out. I think.

I suspected that there might be a few Friend requests building up, but when I finally sit and look through them, I am riveted. Because - OMG!! There is the pal I used to hang around with all the time when I was embarking upon teenagehood (the one who taught me the word "grimble"...). There is the girl with the enviably long eyelashes whose family kept a pig on their little small holding. And there is - my brother?? Good Lord. I had no idea he was even on Facebook!

My initial registration with this social network was around the time of my school reunion, and then only so I could access some photos which a former classmate (and our one-time Head Girl) had posted up. I loved the reunion, far more than I had thought I would. Seeing people who were so significantly a part of my formative years was unexpectedly moving and delightful, and among the photographs now adorning my office wall is one of me standing beside my old Headmaster (whose comment in my final report was "there were times when I did not think Katharine and the school would survive a seven year relationship".....)

It was great, after so many years, to finally have a chance to thank him for all the opportunities the school gave me.

So I have populated my "Wall" with a couple of photos, and my profile with some basic information. And tomorrow I will start confirming Friend requests, in the hope that I may be forgiven for my cravenly dilatory responses....

No comments:

Post a Comment