Wednesday 4 July 2012

Technical Malfunction

I am on a bus heading homewards when I bethink me to start another novel. My Anne Bronte explorations have fired me with enthusiasm for nineteenth century restraint and decorum, and I quite fancy moving onto Thackeray...

Delving into my capacious handbag (the one which has given me permanent nerve problems in my right shoulder) I pull out my beloved Kindle only to find, when switching it on, that the screen has frozen in a random series of lines and is totally unreadable.

Quelle horreur!!

I feel much as I did when my iPod packed up one day when I was over at the Town Hall....

The malfunctioning of the only things standing between me and insanity - in this instance, a gaggle of screeching imbecilic teenagers from the local secondary school - appears at this point to be a disaster of the highest magnitude, and for a few seconds (it may even be minutes) the words "I can't cope" whirl around my brain in an endless loop.

Upon returning home, I discover that my Kindle is only just out of warranty.
Blast and buggeration (one of my late father's more printable outbursts).

Amazon magnanimously offer to "replace" it for £50 without bothering to mention that the replacement is actually a reconditioned model in which they have so little confidence, they only offer it with a 3 month warranty !!! I discover the truth when I google "My Kindle screen isn't working" and about 15 forum threads are revealed, upon which 1000's of disgruntled Kindlers vent their spleen about the crap screens (which appear to have obsolescence built-in).

What to do, what to do?
My new-found resolve to start reading again is facing an early, but potentially disabling, challenge.

I decide my "replacement" purchase needs to be pondered further.
On the other hand, maybe I should just buy an iPad instead....?

No comments:

Post a Comment