Thursday 19 July 2012

Small is beautiful

Because of the play, I haven't been along to a community choir session for about a month. So it feels great to walk across the common on a rainy evening and then be greeted with warmth and humour by a group of cheery ladies (and a very few men....)

The woman who runs this choir is employed by the same organisation as myself. She appears happy, contented and full of joie-de-vivre ! It is most strange. Clearly her department is a reasonably pleasant one, whereas walking into mine necessitates careful girding in body armour, and then spending the day dodging snipers....

We sing "California Dreaming" and "Moon River". We learn all the harmonies. We sound lovely. Why can't we sing like this when we have one of our rare public "outings" ?? It's a mystery !!!

Two hours pass in a blur of laughter, chat, singing and lovingly firm direction from Choir Mistress - someone who exemplifies good leadership and management. She's extremely funny, but always in complete charge; and we all respect and admire her.

Afterwards, Choir Mistress and I sit and have a chat for five minutes. We talk about our former lives engaged in projects which placed us on a bigger stage, and I end up telling her about my recent involvement with the amateur theatre group and how much I am loving it.

We talk about how much joy and satisfaction we have found in connecting up with the concepts "community" "local" and above all "small". It's a great conversation, and I leave feeling inspired all over again.

Later that night, she emails us all photos of the tambourine dance we did at the Jubilee sing-a-long. I look at us all dressed up in red, white and blue; waving our arms and giggling with hilarity. And I burst out laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment