Monday 16 July 2012

Casting call

I return home to a number of text messages, one of which is from the director of the amateur drama production I have just auditioned for.

In the intervening few days, I have got my head around the idea of playing Faithful Old Retainer so it comes as a slight shock to see he is asking if I am interested in a completely different part. Admittedly, it is a man's role (hmmm, seems as though I am to be permanently sewn into a pair of breeches for the next few productions.....) but it's a fabulous part, so this is a minor consideration !!

I am impressed by the flexible approach shown by this amateur drama company, which merrily casts women in men's parts all the time (possibly having something to do with the fact that - rather like my community choir - the women appear to outnumber the men by a ratio of 10:1)

I send an enthusiastic text back accepting the role, then an hour later it dawns on me that his text only asked if I was interested. I am reminded of the time when I was once charged with making a phone call to an agent offering one of their clients a considerable amount of work. And I did it rather well - except that I rang the wrong agent about the wrong actor. (Hmm, not one of my better workplace memories...)

I await the text or phone call politely pointing out that I have slightly jumped the gun.

At least in this instance, if I have misinterpreted the message, there is no harm done!
I start to plan the best type of beard I should sport as Faithful Old Retainer...

No comments:

Post a Comment