Monday 23 July 2012

Good Times Coming

I would seize on any excuse to pay a visit to the amateur theatre company I have just joined, but a rather nice one presents itself. The youth group is performing a series of sketches and playlets, and I always love watching young people acting.

My own love of theatre was nurtured through a children's drama group. And when I was in the 6th Form at school, I ran a drama club for the juniors, and then later directed two plays for the younger pupils. Their enthusiasm, humour and insight were a constant inspiration, and I am sorry that in later life I lost touch with it all.

My assumption that the show starts at 8pm proves unfounded, leaving me ten minutes to grab a sandwich before I take my seat. Rather pleasingly, the seats in front of me are occupied by one of the actors from the production I have just been involved with, as well as his extremely glamorous wife and one of their friends. We start chatting and I learn that their child will be appearing towards the end of the first half. And then he tells me that he has been offered a nice part in the Shakespeare play in which I have also just been cast.

I feel slightly uncomfortable admitting to him that the part I have been offered is one I suspect several of the male auditionees had their eye upon (not Faithful Old Retainer, but another role). But my co-actor's response is so generous-spirited and heartfelt, I feel rather humbled by it.

A couple of days later, an email from the director pops up. And when I read that another two actors from our first play have been cast as well, I feel quite excited !

Because this time round, it is all about the people. Not about parts, not about prestige, not about press notices. It is simply about meeting lots of lovely people, working together harmoniously, and having a really good time.

And I am confident that a really good time is exactly what lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment