Monday 18 June 2012

Fight not Flight

Today I spend the whole afternoon being trained in basic stage fighting by a professional fight director.

!!!

Slightly out of the ordinary, even given my new-found determination to try lots of new and challenging things. I am quite good at the feigned "dummy punches", hairpulling and strangling. But I am absolutely HOPELESS at the stomach punch, which involves actually touching my opponent.

My partner in this exercise is an ethereal-looking girl with a heart-shaped face and drifts of soft brown hair. Despite her telling me repeatedly that a sharp slap with the back of my hand on her abdomen does not hurt her, I cannot bring myself to make physical contact.

Things are getting frustrating, when I suddenly realise that all I have to do is imagine that it is my sociopathic work colleague Remora standing in front of me.

Success !!

I return to my assault with renewed vigour, and the room now resounds with my noisy slaps to her stomach. Later, when we return to the hairpulling, I add a bit of dialogue to make things convincing. My delightfully feminine partner is suddenly startled to hear me call her an "evil f***ing bitch" as I give the illusion of shaking her head violently from side to side.

Wow. It's so cathartic !
It is almost disappointing when we finish the fighting and start rehearsals...

No comments:

Post a Comment