Wednesday 13 June 2012

Dancing Queens...

Due to various people (the organiser, me) being on holiday, I haven't been along to a community choir rehearsal for about three weeks. Even though I have a headache and feel very tired, I exert myself to get changed out of my work clothes and head over to the practice room. Already I feel completely at home among this group, many of whom are retired ladies.

We are finalising our "numbers" for the community sing-a-long event this Saturday. The soloist for one of the numbers pops in and we sing our harmonised accompaniment as she belts out the tune in professional bluesy style. Later, we sing our Russian monastic chant with its thrilling discordancies, and when it finishes there is a slight silence as we realise we are actually managing to sound rather good !

While I have been away, volunteers have been sought for a comedic dance number. Another of the formidable, talented, powerful ladies who drive this choir has choreographed this, which involves the shaking of tambourines and men wearing skirts (always a Dead Cert hit!). I stay behind to watch them practice, and get roped in to participate. I really don't feel it fair to take part in the actual performance, given that they have already been working on it for two weeks, but it is such fun to join in - even for a few practice rounds!

When I was at university I was lead singer in a band (like a million others). I wasn't a particularly good singer, but I was good at wearing suitably outrageous clothes, and I was smokin' on the tambourine! So for 15 glorious minutes, I wave it around, fall over my feet, and giggle along with everyone else.

But - as with everything - with repeated practice, it all starts to come together...

I get home about 10pm, and my husband remarks on my uplifted mood. I tell him what we got up to at choir, and even demonstrate a few steps. I then suggest he comes along this Saturday. He looks askance.

Husband: "What's it all about again?"
Me: "It's a community sing-a-long. We're going to be performing a few songs. And doing a tambourine dance. And then everyone is going to join in with lots of other songs, and we'll have a picnic and a really good laugh".

Husband shudders faintly. "I am going out. With Friend".
Me: "Really? You didn't mention that to me".
Husband: "I haven't mentioned it to him yet......."

No comments:

Post a Comment