Sunday 20 May 2012

What the doctor ordered...

It's not that I want everyone around me to placate, mollify, and flatter. In fact, that is the last thing I want or expect them to do - which is probably why I was so susceptible to someone setting out to be strategically manipulative. Hopefully I am now a lot wiser.

Spending time in the company of both my sisters means we are all constantly challenging each other's perceptions of what is fair, and true, and important. It has been instructive to discuss some of my "workplace issues" with them, and get alternative perspectives. These tend to be refreshingly blunt and incisive.

I am reminded of the time recently when I told my friend Jo about something Remora had done (it was another instance of her weirdly random "stalking" behaviour) and I said to Jo "why do you think she would have done that?"

Whereupon Jo responded without missing a beat "because she's f***ing nuts??"

There have been many moments over the past two days when my sisters and I have all cried with laughter; just as I did when Jo made her definitive pronoucement.

We visited Valencia's Botanical Gardens this morning, and meandered into the Medicinal Garden, sniffing leaves of rosemary, verbena and lavender; and reading about the nasty overdose effects of belladonna, laurel and holly. Medicine constantly advances and recedes in complexity and effectiveness, but nothing has ever done more to help me detach from the miseries of my working environment than finding something to laugh about.

So I am grateful to all my friends and family (and let us not forget my doctor) who help me recognise the sheer bloody absurdity of what goes on around me every Monday to Friday between the hours of 9am and 5pm; and who have assisted my spectacular transformation into a Stepford Employee.

Back into the role tomorrow! Mmmm. Can hardly wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment