Wednesday 16 May 2012

"Singin' in the Rain.."

I have nobly given up my plans for the evening in order to accompany my husband to hospital where he is to undergo a "minor procedure". We arrive at 6pm, only for him to be told that he should have been there at 4.30pm. I suspect this might be deliberate confusion on his part, as he has not been looking forward to the prodding and poking his "procedure" will necessitate. He is given an appointment for the following week instead.

We head off in the rain, and pop into an attractive Mediterranean-style cafe to review our options for the evening. He thinks he might just stay in and phone a few friends, whereupon I say "um, well in that case, do you mind if I go to choir practice after all.....?"

His blessing having been bestowed upon this suggestion, I skip across the common, heedless of the fact my hair is getting all wet, meeting an adorable little dog en route and pausing to watch a few hardy lads playing footie. The walk to the practice hall takes about twenty minutes, and on the way I listen to our new songs on my iPod. I joined this local community choir six weeks ago and since then I haven't missed a rehearsal. There are about 25 people gathered there this evening, but it is a very moveable feast - the whole point of it is that one can dip in and out as one pleases.

The fabulous woman who runs the choir on a voluntary basis comes over to me for a brief chat, apologising humorously for the haphazard nature of the enterprise. I shake my head in demurral. Attending her rehearsal session is one of the highlights of my week. It has the same effect on me as meetings of my "support group" - 90 minutes during which I feel a total absence of pressure, stress or responsibility.

"This is my therapy," I tell her.
She laughs.
I don't quite know how to explain to her that I am not kidding so I just laugh along with her.

Amazingly, this wonderful person - funny, dynamic, inspiring - is employed by the same organisation as myself! Just (sadly) not within my department. I wonder, idly, what it must feel like to work alongside such energy and commitment - but have no time for further musing because the rehearsal is starting.

Thirty minutes later we've learned a whole new song and manage to sing it all the way through in perfect four part harmony. It sounds FABULOUS! I mean "hair-standing-up-on-the-back-of your-neck" fabulous. The choir leader tells us we've been asked to sing at a local community event for the elderly in a month's time and it would be helpful if we can let her know if we are free that night.

I immediately put my hand up.

No comments:

Post a Comment