Monday 21 May 2012

The Stepford Employee returns...

My husband very kindly meets my sisters and I at the airport and ensures that everyone gets home safely. We ourselves arrive back home around 5pm, but it is not until 9.30pm that I finally bother to scroll through my work emails to see what has been happening during my two days absence.

Oh deary me! There has been a wee bit of a flurry. Apparently I am in possession of a crucial set of keys which are now Urgently Needed, and this has actually prompted Line Manager to send me a text on a Saturday (unheard of) requesting my immediate response. Lest he be accused of inappropriate "weekend harassment", I notice he is very quick to make clear that New Boss has sanctioned this intervention.

Only thing is - I don't think I happened to mention that I was going to be out of the country...

Provision of this information was not mandatory, given that I had official permission to be away on annual leave, but I suppose that once upon a time I might have artlessly chatted to Line Manager and New Boss about my plans for a delightful city break to southern Spain. As it was, I merely set my out-of-office and vanished; and I think only Life Coach Colleague from my own department knew where I was heading.

Several emails are now falling over each other, requesting politely that I make contact first thing Tuesday morning so the grand key-handing-over ceremony can be arranged. I could delay my response until first thing in the morning, but of course I recognise that a splendid Stepford opportunity has presented itself! So at 10.30pm at night I nobly respond by both email and text, advising the hierarchy that I will personally be on site at 10am the following morning to enable access to the building in question.

I am so willing! So helpful !! So apologetic for being out of the country !!!

There are several other directives from New Boss on other matters, but I shelve them because they are neither urgent nor important.

Stepford Employee has returned. But only strategically.

No comments:

Post a Comment