Wednesday 16 May 2012

Prosecuting Counsel

I mentioned to Line Manager and New Boss the other day that a Senior Manager from another department had sent me a very aggressive email because I had responded to an enquiry from the Chief Executive in a manner he resented. "Why would he do that?" I mused, whereupon New Boss (never one to hold back from  An Insightful Psychological Assessment) said "because he feels he can".

Me: "I'm not sure what you mean?" (feigning stupidity is always a good way to get people to expand upon their statements....)
New Boss: "Ah, well, he couldn't have a go at the people he wanted to have a go at, like his Director or the Chief Executive, so he had a go at you instead"
Me: "mmmmmm. I see. Thank you. The thing is that I really hate being being bullied".
New Boss: "I wouldn't call that bullying".

Wha.......?

At this moment I realised the answer to why New Boss appears incapable of doing anything about bullying. New Boss does not define this term in the same way as other mortals; or even our own ludicrous Code (which helpfully gives as one definition "the abuse or misuse of power"). New Boss is - in fact - created in entirely the same mould as all other senior male officers in my employing organisations; and thinks that he has the right to do entirely as he pleases without reprisals.

To wit, New Boss believes he has the right to:

-  summon me into his office when I am on the point of going home and embarking on a lengthy conversation with me regardless

-  make comments about what he perceives are my deep-seated psychological problems

-  refer disparagingly to the way I speak (I am "posh")

-  tell me to be "friends" with colleagues who have treated me like dirt

Two minutes after making the throwaway comment above (to which Stepford Employee did not respond, naturally, but merely raised an eyebrow a millimetre...) New Boss came out with the following:

"I need a PA. I can't cope with doing all this admin on my own - it's crazy. I'm going to bring in my old PA from  my former workplace to help me. She's great. I can ring her anytime, Saturdays, Sundays, she's always on the end of the phone".

Whereupon I said faintly "don't you think that's rather exploitative of you, calling her at the weekend?"
And he said "oh, she doesn't mind"
And I said "that's not really the point is it?"
And he said "I told you, she doesn't mind"
And I said "Well anyway, I think you might find that you will asked to consider our redeployees first....?"
And he said "**** that, I'll just use whoever I want".

Case rests m'lud.

No comments:

Post a Comment