Monday 3 September 2012

Traveller's Tales

There is nothing better for gaining a sense of perspective than travelling several hundred (or preferably thousand) miles from the source of one's difficulties.

Stepford Employee is currently on sabbatical in Budapest, and the difference this is making to her mood is quite spectacular!

It's hard to give a monkey's about Line Manager's behaviour, Spiteful Manager's malice, or the orchestrated spite of The Jackals when one is sitting on the No2 tram, rattling noisily along the bank of the Danube; or getting blisters on one's toes from walking round and round St Stephen's Basilica.

It's 90 degrees, which means Husband is in his element.

However I was never the type of teenager to leave a disco looking band-box fresh; and so I am avoiding having my photograph taken because I am pretty sure the shine reflecting off my sweaty face is going to be the only thing which anyone viewing them will notice...

It's amazingly cheap here. We've found a place selling fabulous felafel pittas for the equivalent of two pounds each, and our three day travel pass is only a tenner. Our money is going a long way.

The hotel also offers a free internet point in a quiet lounge which few of the other guests seem to have discovered, so I get the chance to stay up to date with my new-found passion for social networking, and can also check my emails.

It's lovely to see that a couple of my work colleagues have been in touch to wish me a good holiday. Maternal Colleague and Continental Colleague have always been supportive and friendly towards me, and I became particularly grateful for this kindness during the protracted grievance procedures which have dominated the past year. I send them newsy, chatty emails in return.

And my former assistant - an elegant young Frenchman - has also emailed me with a beautifully written account of his summer travels since he left Anonymous Council's service! Coincidentally, he has also spent a week in Budapest; about a month before my visit. It's great to hear from him, because the last time we spoke I was still suffering agonies of mortification over the way he had been treated by my colleagues.

Back in January, Spiteful Manager sought to inveigle Former Assistant into a embarrassingly malicious and childish scenario designed to humiliate me. However Spiteful Manager reckoned without Former Assistant's integrity, loyalty and maturity; and when Former Assistant stood up to him (pretty impressive for a 22 year old, considering Spiteful Manager's seniority....) and told him that he wasn't getting involved in anything which could harm me, Spiteful Manager then directed all his considerable venom at Former Assistant.

Not surprisingly, when Former Assistant was asked if he wanted to extend his contract with Anonymous Council, he said no....

It was his first proper job after graduating from his prestigious French university, and for many months I have been feeling ashamed that his memories of UK employment will be tainted by such awful managerial behaviour. But the shame starts to lift when I read Former Assistant's 'email diary'.

He's had the most wonderful experiences over the summer. He's met a host of fascinating people and travelled all through Eastern Europe. He is looking forward to returning to France and starting his Masters degree (!). And he wishes me the very best for the future.

It's the most heart-warming email.
And it feels great to be able to email him back and wish him the very same.

No comments:

Post a Comment