Monday 17 September 2012

Three interesting emails....

Blackberry informs me, late on Sunday afternoon, that 215 emails await my return to work.

Not too bad ! If Former Boss was still here, that number would have at least doubled. I have gone to bed for a small nap as we had to get up early to catch our flight home, but sleep eludes me and I find myself reaching out for Blackberry and starting the laborious process of scrolling through, trying to sort the wheat from the chaff.

And of course I am peculiarly alert and hyper-sensitive to any which carry additional connotations....

Much to my relief, the emails are mainly routine which I am going to be able to deal with fairly promptly. But three stand out in stark relief....

Email 1

From Personnel admitting that the strictly confidential document I gave to the Investigating Officer appointed to look into my grievance was included in the disciplinary papers ! And was therefore passed to Line Manager, and to the Director who was adjuging the matter !! 

This comes as no surprise to me, because I have known for at least 6 weeks that this must have been the case, ever since Line Manager let slip during our mediation session that he had seen said document. What astounds me is that Personnel - after fudging and ducking and avoiding my enquiries on said topic for weeks - has now finally 'fessed up in writing.

Blimey.
I decide to park my response to this until I've got my head around it.

Email 2

From Remora "helpfully" pointing out that I made a significant error in a piece of marketing information I had hastily prepared for her before I went on leave, and that she was forced to go to New Boss to sort out the muddle I had left.

I have had a challenging relationship with Remora for four years, and it is for precisely this reason that she is the colleague I take most care to treat neutrally and professionally, promptly responding to her requests and requirements. I never want to give her any grounds to find fault with me, because I know she will celebrate this in the manner of one who has just discovered they have a winning Lottery ticket.

So when I read her email, I don't think "blimey".
I think "bugger".

Email 3

From New Boss, entitled "Staff Structures". The title may seem inoffensive, but the timing of this email - sent sent to the entire department at 4.45pm on a Friday - instantly denotes that changes are afoot and he is giving everyone the weekend to absorb the implications. I race through the attached Committee paper, trying to associate co-workers with the numerically assigned posts within. And although I need to study it a while longer for it all to make complete sense, one thing leaps out at me.

All members of Spiteful Manager's team have been re-assigned to other managers.

Spiteful Manager elected to make me the target of his malice back in January, seeking to drag my own assistant into a scenario which grossly undermined me. Despite clear evidence that his actions were undertaken deliberately in order to cause me maximum hurt and humiliation, the Hierarchy advised me that it was not a disciplinary matter. Knowing that Spiteful Manager was being allowed to get away scot-free with conduct which, in previous eras, would have seen him horsewhipped or placed in the stocks, has been one of the  chiefest causes of my total disengagement from the workplace. I have no idea what has lain behind the decision to denude him of his retinue, but I can only feel thankful that the Decent People - who have long suffered under his "command", and who tell me with hushed voices how much they despise him - are finally to be free of him.

Blimey, I think again.
Blimey!
Lawks, lor' love a duck, and bless my ears and whiskers !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment