Wednesday 14 November 2012

How to Bring Out the Best in People

On Monday I post an entry on my Facebook page:

"I am at work. I do not want to be at work. I want to be back in ******" (the location of the play in which I have just appeared...)

My post seems to strike a chord with my fellow cast members, who during the course of the day post up a series of comments highlighting what they will most miss about the production.

- The performances themselves (well attended and well received)
- Their own particular props and costumes
- The staggeringly well designed set
- and - of course - the people!

For the past couple of months, I have been able to casually say "night!" to my colleagues at around 5pm, go home and have something to eat, and then hot-foot it to rehearsals where I have been able to enjoy long periods untroubled by thoughts of work. I haven't told a single co-worker of my newly regained passion for amateur dramatics, even those of whom I am very fond. I haven't told them because I have now learned the hard way that there is only one way to keep a secret.

Tell Absolutely No-one.

This doesn't apply to former co-workers naturally. One of the people I tell about the production is my organisation's former Chief Executive, now retired. And I feel enormously boosted when he comes along to see the play in the middle of its week-long run.

When the bullying campaign against me began escalating two years ago, Former Chief Executive had already  been pensioned off, but we have always stayed in touch (not least because he is one of my referees). Obviously he could not intervene in any way with the unfolding and ghastly disciplinary processes, but throughout he provided a kindly listening ear and gave me helpful guidance on the way in which the organisation would be likely to respond. He is waiting for me outside the auditorium as I scuttle out to catch my train, and offers me a lift home.

He seems amazed at my confidence on-stage.
Sheesh. I am pretty bloody amazed at myself.

"I didn't know you could sing!" he says, cautiously navigating his way through the back streets of Anonymous Area of London. "I couldn't believe it when you came on right at the start and sang the song which opened the show."

Hmmm. This comment highlights the staggering and depressing contrast between the World of Work and my Secret Life Outside. I am probably only a fairly average singer. But by a stroke of great good fortune, I was given a part in a show which happened to feature a professional musician among the cast. And he had lots of ideas for things I could sing, and interesting ways to accompany me on his guitar, and the upshot was that our play almost turned into a musical !

And this is the kind of thing Professional Musician used to say to me when we were rehearsing:

"That's a bit high for you - I'll lower the key"
"Try dropping your shoulders"
"Oooh - that really suits your voice"
"Why don't you sing that as if you were singing it to yourself?"
"You're doing very well"

All very light touch and casual, and constantly focused on building and boosting my confidence. It is plain that if he were transplanted to an office environment, he would be an outstanding manager of staff. Not like my managers. No, no. Nothing like them at all !

And all the other people in the cast were supportive, and complimentary, and funny, and loving. And no-one did the kind of things the Jackals did to me at work. No-one took away and hid my script, made snide comments, excluded me from social occasions, lied about me, sneered at me, did impressions of me behind my back, shouted at me, bullied me, or undermined me.

Because everyone involved in the production was doing it for the sheer joy of it; and because everyone felt secure in their own considerable talents and abilities. So it was easy for us all to accept and respect each other.

God, no wonder I feel totally gutted it is all over.

Last night I logged onto the theatre website, and wrote down all the audition dates for next year's shows into my brand new 2013 diary. One always has to have something to look forward to.

4 comments:

  1. I have only just started to read your blog, having reached it through @Bulliedbythe.... so I'm commenting on this post without having read all your others. You are showing here how you have separated your life into strands and therefore managed to temper the impact when one strand went wrong. Well done and good advice. So many people inadvertently live exclusively for work, whether for the apparent friendliness in the workplace or because they mistakenly feel that they are the only ones who can do their jobs, and most people are wrong about this. Even Bill Gates stepped aside, although he could obviously afford it. Most others are discarded rather more roughly.

    PS I have always felt that you rather out-acted that amateur Hoffman in The Graduate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your reply and your amusing postscript. Yes, I do feel that I put too great an emphasis on my work, and in many ways allowed it to define me - which is one of the reasons I was very much affected when it all "went wrong". Strict compartmentalising has actually helped me a lot.

      Delete
  2. I remember getting through a tough time at work by spending Wednesday evenings trying to learn Sign Language. (This was meant to enable me to communicate with a deaf neighbour ... and he unexpectedly died not long after I got my Certificate.)

    Making music with friends is the best-ever way for me to switch off, because you HAVE to concentrate. Let your mind wander, and mistakes creep in.

    But the one thing I would like to say to you is: keep 'imagining' ('believing' comes later) the day when you feel that way about your future workplace, once all this nonsense is past. The more detail in which you imagine it, the more likely it is to happen. I don't actually believe in mystical whatnots ... but the power of imaging has proved itself to me, time after time. Keep all your images positive, and eventually something very like that will become real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much Fiona, for posting a comment and for sharing your Sign Language classes story. I would also like to thank you for your advice about imagining a different future landscape. This is very timely, as over the past couple of days I have felt some sense of reconnection with work; and only today Tweeted a link to a blog about it. It's the one just below this one! Take care and thanks again.

    ReplyDelete