Monday 30 April 2012

League Match

Oh deary me. Now I really don't want to be an unforgiving, resentful person. I really don't. I spent much of my weekend hearing messages which were directed to me from various sources and they are all pretty much the same - the ones I have been listening to for years:

- Don't hold onto resentment (only hurts yourself)
- Do unto others as you would have done unto you
- Let Go and Let God
- Keep your own side of the street clean.

I sit and feel the truth of the messages, and vow to be a better person, and even try very VERY hard to say prayers for The Witches of both sexes who have done their level best to make my working life a misery.

Alas, at 11.30 this morning my serene and equable view of the world starts to wear off a weeny bit.

I am due to have a management meeting with my Line Manager. This is not our usual pattern - even before things went severely awry last August, he never rang me, never asked how I was getting on, and never offered me any support. But now New Boss has descended and with his shiny New Broom has instituted a new system of monthly one-to-one meetings.

!!! The old guard within the department cannot know what has hit them.

Alas, Line Manager and I can't have straightforward one-to-ones because we are required (for reasons I will expand upon later in this blog) to have meetings in the presence of A. N. Other. The role of Mr Other is currently being played by - New Boss!

I arrive in the department in good time and kill time by responding to a few emails. Suddenly Line Manager appears at my side and says 'we think it might be nice if we all went out for a coffee for this meeting'.

Hang on. Overwhelming sense of deja vu. This all happened last Monday did it not? The "confidential" meeting held in a coffee shop, screaming babies, clattering crockery, the hissing rumblings of the Gaggia....

I do my "mmmmmmmmmm....?" thing, which on this occasion Line Manager takes as assent.

When he disappears into his office to (presumably) pick up his wallet - my God, he might even be considering buying the coffees! - I experience a sudden moment of clarity and tap meekly on the door of New Boss's office.

Me: "I understand we are holding this first management meeting away from your office?"
New Boss: "Well we thought it would be nice"
Me: (unhelpful silence)
New Boss; "but if you don't want to...."
Me: "I'm afraid I don't think Costa Coffee represents a suitable environment. In fact I think it is very inappropriate".

Inappropriate. This is the single most valuable word every Stepford Employee should master. Non-confrontational, non-aggressive, almost fluffy; it nevertheless seems to have the power to halt public sector workers of all grades abruptly in their tracks. "Inappropriate" is quietly suggestive of discussions with one's union, possible litigation, and names in the newspapers.

New Boss halts predictably, but in a grumpy manner. He mutters something about not having had enough coffee that morning. I see a Katharine Ross opportunity looming !

"If you like," I say sweetly, "I would be very happy to go and get you one".....

- New Boss gets his own coffee.
- The meeting starts ten minutes later than planned.
- It is held in his office

Managers 0
Stepford Employee 1

No comments:

Post a Comment